By: Sam Rubinstein ( @_samruby )
Our Alumni Catch Up Column will ask former stars of CIAC Boy’s Basketball questions on their high school and college careers to give us a little insight on the person behind the player
This week’s player to be highlighted in our Alumni Catchup is Danny Upchurch, a former Notre Dame Lancer, and current Charleston Southern Buccaneer. At Notre Dame, Danny led his team to an SWC championship sophomore year, along with two trips to the Class M state semifinals during his sophomore and junior seasons. During his senior campaign, he averaged 25 points, 7 assists, and 4 steals per game on his way to first team Class M All State honors. After Notre Dame, he took a prep year at Putnam Science Academy in Putnam, CT, which eventually led to a Division 1 scholarship to play basketball at Charleston Southern University in South Carolina. As a freshman averaged 11.4 minutes per game coming off of the bench and scoring 2.2 points per game. Now coming into his sophomore campaign, Danny is the starting point guard and looks to lead CSU to a Big South conference title and berth in the 2016 NCAA Tournament. Keep an eye out for Danny this season as he is making all of us back in Connecticut proud!
1. Name: Daniel Upchurch
2. Year: Sophomore
3. College/University: Charleston Southern University (D1, Big South Conference)
4. High School: Notre Dame Catholic High School (Fairfield, CT, South West Conference)
5. Most Memorable High School Game and Why? Against New Milford High School my senior year because I had 45 points and 7 assists and that was my career high in scoring.
6. Best Player You Played Against in High School? Had to be Kris Dunn my freshman year. Now he turns out to be the best point guard in all of college basketball.
7. Most Memorable College Game and Why? Against Ole Miss. It was my first college game and I played 20 minutes. We beat them at the buzzer and I scored 5 points that game.
8. Best Player You Played Against in College? Has to be Xavier Rathan-Mayes from Florida State
9. Best Team You Played Against in College? North Carolina State
10. Coolest Place/Arena That You Have Played In College? Colorado State because it was my first time out there and I loved their arena.
11. Where Else Were You Looking to Play Coming Out of High School? Sacred Heart University, UMass Lowell, and Gardner Webb University
12. What Do You Miss Most About Playing High School Basketball? The fun of the game and not being so serious like it is at the next level.
13. One Mentor That Helped You Out On the High School Team When You Were an Underclassmen and How Did He Help? Tre McPherson. He was better than me and showed me the way my freshman year.
14. If You Could Go Back and Replay One Game of Your High School Career What Would It Be and Why? My sophomore year against Trinity Catholic in the Class M state semi-finals. We were up by three with ten seconds left and lost in OT.
15. How Did Playing High School Basketball in Connecticut Prepare You For The Next Level? It was okay, but a shot clock definitely would have prepared me more.
16. What’s The Biggest Difference Between the College Game and the High School Game? The speed and have to know how and when to shoot the ball.
17. Give Us One Outlook On How You Think Your College Team Will Do This Season. We are looking to win the conference, anything other than that would be a failure.
Thanks to Daniel for taking the time to talk to us and we wish all the best to him and his CSU Buccaneers!