By: Sam Rubinstein ( @_samruby )
Our Alumni Catch Up Column will ask former stars of CIAC Boy’s Basketball questions on their high school and college careers to give us a little insight on the person behind the player.
Our final Alumni Catchup feature for the preseason is 2013 Bethel High School graduate and current Bryant Bulldog, Dan Garvin. Dan was an 1,000 point scorer and two time Class M all stater for the Wildcats, and led them to an appearance in the SWC championship game his senior year. Dan was a force to be reckoned with across the state as he averaged 24 points and 18 rebounds per game during his senior campaign. At Bryant, Dan has blossomed into one of the premier post players of the NEC. As a sophomore last season, Dan started all 31 games for his squad and made the All-NEC Second Team. This season, Dan was picked as a preseason First Team all conference player, and has lived up to the hype. Through 10 games, Dan has averaged 10.5 points per game and 8.7 rebounds per game. His Bulldogs have a had a tough non conference schedule but look out for Dan and his teammates when March comes around because they will be one of the top teams in their conference.
1. Name: Dan Garvin
2. Year: Junior
3. College/University: Bryant University (D1, North East Conference)
4. High School: Bethel High School (Bethel, CT, South West Conference)
5. Most Memorable High School Game and Why? Senior year against Notre Dame Fairfield. I had 40 points and 18 rebounds, itwas by far the best game of my career.
6. Best Player You Played Against in High School? Daniel Upchurch of Notre Dame Fairfield.
7. Most Memorable College Game and Why? Against UConn during my sophomore season. We lost, but I grew up watching them and going to their camps so it was a surreal experience to actually play a game on their court
8. Best Player You Played Against in College? Ryan Boatright from UConn. For his size, he could do it all. Score, pass, rebound, block shots; he was just a great overall player.
9. Best Team You Played Against in College? Duke University
10. Coolest Place/Arena That You Have Played In College? Madison Square Garden. We played there my freshman season.
11. Where Else Were You Looking to Play Coming Out of High School? Along with Bryant, there was Sacred Heart, and other NEC schools.
12. What Do You Miss Most About Playing High School Basketball? Being able to represent my home town night in and night out.
13. One Mentor That Helped You Out On the High School Team When You Were an Underclassmen and How Did He Help? Jon Byrnes (played at New England College) was two years ahead of me and always pushed me to be my best.
14. If You Could Go Back and Replay One Game of Your High School Career What Would It Be and Why? Class M state tournament game against Berlin because it was my last game and was a loss.
16. What’s The Biggest Difference Between the College Game and the High School Game? The physicality. There is a big difference between boy’s basketball and men’s basketball.
17. Give Us One Outlook On How You Think Your College Team Will Do This Season. Goal is to win the NEC just like every year!
Thanks to Dan for taking the time to talk to us and we wish all the best to him and his Bryant Bulldogs!